Pages

Wednesday 11 August 2010

The Bolton News Printed It.

Remember that letter to the Bolton News I posted about on Saturday. Well it was printed, and was the letter that made the headline for the letters page as well! It survived remarkably intact from being edited. They've altered some of the punctuation and the odd comment, which I think makes some of the prose lose its original "bite". But 99 percent of what I submitted, made it on there. I must admit, although I thought my letter was quite good, and was pretty much what I originally set out to write (and had to re write as the e-mail deleted the bloody original one I was to send!) I did feel a bit bad at first, the letter is quite scathing, and I'm sure Mr. Harrison wouldn't have been expecting such a "robust" response (I actually think he would have liked a letter backing him up on how right he was about the cushy life on the dole.) But then I thought stuff it a bit. It's a lot worse for unemployed people worrying about their state of affairs, than someone being put out by a scathing letter setting them straight. I suppose that was really why I wrote it, not withstanding the fact that it was combating my pet peeve, lazy [non] thinking and right wing urban myths. But because he was belittling an issue that really affects people badly on a personal level, people who often have little voice. I hope that I spoke up for more people than myself. Challenge a stereotype for once, not perpetuate one.

No comments:

Post a Comment